Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Reporting to the Director, Safety & Security, the Event Security Supervisor delivers and administers the campus’ security program, including overseeing the day-to-day operation of security staff and providing a security presence during all campus events.
Position Title: Event Security Supervisor
Department: Security Services
Reporting to: Safety & Security Management
Type of Employment/Hours of Work: Full-time – Must be able to work eighty-four (84) hours bi-weekly. Must be available to work day / night shifts (0700HRS-1900HRS / 1900HRS-0700HRS), including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Number of Vacancies: 1
Rate of Pay: $22-$25 per hour
● Provide exceptional customer service and sustain effective relationships with staff, clients, and patrons of the Harbourfront Centre.
● Access control and CCTV monitoring for the entire facility.
● De-escalate crisis situations, provide support, and liaise with emergency services including Police, Fire, and Paramedics.
● Exercise crowd control and evict trespassers.
● Provide first aid and medical response when required to any person(s).
● Utilize two-way radios and computer applications to communicate site activities.
● As a last resort, employ use of force techniques and strategies in accordance with training and company policy.
● Make sure all reports and briefs are completed properly and copies are delivered to the appropriate manager(s).
● Maintain a personal employee memo book, recording any and all incidents. Write clear, professional and detailed reports including incident, emergency, liability and day-to-day reports. As directed, maintains log of security activities for insurance / legal purposes.
● Investigate all disturbances on the property including – but not limited to – trespass, theft, fire / intruder alarms, missing persons, and determine the necessary response.
● Escalate any major incidents to the Safety & Security Management.
● Supervise all Security Staff activities.
● Explain team goals and objectives to guards and assist the team in organizing to accomplish goals.
● Handle complaints and provide information to Safety & Security Management on the performance of security staff and any issues requiring attention.
● Complete assignments and meet deadlines from Safety & Security Management.
● Attend bi-weekly Supervisor meetings.
● Promote a work environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, and violence.
● Enforce the safety and security policies and procedures of the facility.
● Coach, mentor, and train all staff to ensure they have adequate knowledge of equipment, policies, and procedures.
● Performs other administrative and building support duties as required.
Skills & Requirements:
● Use of problem solving and analytical skills in day-to-day duties.
● Remain calm and professional in emergency situations.
● Able to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
● Able to handle confidential information with a high amount of discretion.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced and flexible environment while maintaining the utmost professionalism.
● Able to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
● Moderate physical activity, such as standing and walking for long periods of time.
● Knowledge of the Trespass to Property Act and Arrest Procedures.
● Proficient in English (verbal and written) communication skills.
● Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act is considered an asset.
● Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Outlook, Word, and Excel).
● Familiarity with surveillance equipment, access control, and fire alarm systems.
● Attention to detail, and strong interpersonal skills.
● Familiarity with the Occupation Health & Safety Act is considered an asset.
● Class “G” Ontario Driver’s License with clean abstract.
● Valid Ontario Security License.
● Valid Emergency and / or Standard First Aid/CPR certification.
● Valid certification of provincial standards for Use of Force (in handcuff and baton) desired.
● A minimum of three (3) years of progressive security-related work experience or equivalent, including a minimum of two (2) years in a supervisory role, with demonstrated strength in customer service.
● Post-Secondary education in a Law Enforcement / Security or other applicable program is considered an asset.
● Job involves working a variety of shifts, must be available to work evenings, nights, weekends, dayshifts, and statutory holidays
● Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. This role is based in Toronto.
● Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by April 4, 2022. Please quote “Event Security Supervisor” in the subject line of your application.
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.